As I’ve been doing my 100 Day of Reading Chapters challenge
I’ve been thinking about my use of Goodreads and the various functions I use it for:
- Adding books I want to read.
- Prioritizing the next books I’m interested in. Typically these are rated as: “Next, High, Medium, Low, Someday”.
- Adding topical tags to a book so I can find a book I want to read based on topic.
- Track which books I’m currently reading and how far through them I am. Currently Goodreads allows pages or %, I’m interested in seeing if there is a way I can do pages, location (for e-books) and time (for audiobooks).
- Post quotes and thoughts to share as I read through a book
- Track when I have finished a book and how many times I’ve read it.
- Track total pages read in year.
- Track total books read in a year.
- Track average pages per book in a year.
- Shortest book read in a year.
- Longest book read in a year.
- Post ratings and reviews per book read
- Create an annual reading challenge (example: 50 books in 2016), and watching the graph and visual bookshelf of how far through the challenge I am and what books I read to complete the challenge.
I want to be able to do all of that on my website. It’s a tall order and will take some time, but ultimately it will be great to have completed over time. As I continue to move towards owning all of my reading, it’ll be important that I find ways to do these goals on my website. It might not be the same as it is in Goodreads, in fact, hopefully it’s better and more tailored to my purposes.